Happy Holidays, heathens. A special gift for you this season!
Some months ago I was casually hit up by Phil of A Beautiful Lotus and Robo! Robotica fame about lending a hand with a compilation idea he was working on. Simultaneously getting my feet wet with the Magicore blog and crew, I felt honored he’d even considered asking me. In the end, all I managed to do was harass a handful or three of people I knew for tracks to appear on it while spreading updates and such as they were available. Of course, only a couple of the people I talked to manage to follow through and actually submit something – sucks for those who missed out, quite a stellar lineup you could have appeared with (points finger at self a little).
Anyhow, the compilation idea was the dubiously titled “A Grindcore Christmas” and was, obviously, to be themed and released around the holiday. Furthermore, the notion of “grindcore” was more of an aesthetic idea/ideal than an actual genre with which to house all the entries under. Don’t be mistaken, most of the material on this compilation is somehow or another related to or representing “grindcore” as a sound and genre. But there’s a nice helping of material that is not so obviously and specifically rooted in that realm. At 28 tracks, they all fit like pieces to some deranged puzzle.
The first track from Ryan Page is like the calm before the storm that is James Doesn’t Exist, who offers up a mammoth grind piece. Tooth_Eye delivers some breakcore/grindcore hybrid goodness, Buried At Birth deliver some blackened grind sludge doom, The Bloody Flux kicks down some industrialized e-grind, Xrin Arms drops some melancholic downbeat hiphop beats, Agoraphobic Nosebleed offers temporary solace from the noisy onslaught with some drone/noise tinkerings, Clawz featuring p.Wrecks are off on some drugged out anti-holiday hiphop/dubstep shit, Bubbles sets you up with some noisy and spaced out techno vibes, and A Beautiful Lotus is off on some pounding grindnoise. And there’s even more than that, and I probably did a horse shit job summing up each track in a few catch phrases.
01. Ryan Page – God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen Remix
02. James Doesn’t Exist – The Workshop Massacre
03. Unnatural Selection – Snowball
04. Tooth_Eye – Like Every Other Amuurikan Holiday, If You Celebrate It You Hate The Red Man
05. Dead Neanderthals – Thunderbolt
06. Buried At Birth – Reigndeer In Blood
07. M.O.S.E.S. – Capitalist Gift Day
08. Totally Pissed Off – Santa Is Satan Misspelled
09. Kusari Gama Kill – Evil Christmas
10. Kindergarten Hazing Ritual – Go Go Bukkake X-Mas Mayan Dream Match Millenium Edition
11. The Bloody Flux – The Chimney
12. Munkie Poo – Christmas Corpsepaint
13. PowPowSlam – Saving The Snow Princess
14. Girls Run Funny – Santa’s Not Here
15. Xrin Arms – All I Need For Xmas Is A Scumbag Summer
16. Silly Idols Feat. The Toilet – Santa Said Whats Wrong With You
17. Totalitarian Hippie Corporation – Totalitarian Christmas Corporation
18. Bastards – Grim The Frostbitten Snowman
19. Agoraphobic Nosebleed – Santa’s Got A Brand New Bag
20. Stress Orphan – Puss And Eggnog
21. Cupcake – Just Another Dat At The Mansion (Children Of The Mistletoe Mix)
22. Tenderloin Hooker Needles – The Little Blast Beat Boy
23. Sakura Pups – God Bless The Children This Christmas
24. Clawz Feat. pWrecks – Something To Celebrate
25. Bubbles – Trippin Snow Balls
26. Fetal Demise – Die Fire
27. A Beautiful Lotus – Blue Christmas
28. The Circulatory System – Joy To The World
You can visit the Archive.org release page for individual files, more information, and linkbacks to artists and additional relevant material.